The Great Mystic Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Mystic Portal

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?

Go down 
+7
smallelk
Evie
Suzi
flight _of_angelwings
EarlofLeicester
Runesmisstress
Milady Raka
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Runesmisstress

Runesmisstress

Female
Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2007-05-12

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 11:41 pm

Shield something I need right now a shield of patience.

Nappies
Back to top Go down
http://witchs-haven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Milady Raka

Milady Raka

Female
Number of posts : 1128

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 am

Nappies.....uhmmmm.......

These days a slang word for disposable diapers....

but I will rather associate them with little naps or Cat Naps...something Runesmisstress also need....me thinks....

But for the sake of this game (where it should remind us of something) nappies bring to memory my childhood years where I would watch the neighbours nanny hanging the purest white nappies on their washing line, and then chasing the dog who tries to catch them as they flap in the wind. She was a matronly old woman, stout and reserved, but chasing after the dog with the washing basket just made me fold over with laughter...

CANDYFLOSS

love and rainbows

Raka
Back to top Go down
Prof. Akers

Prof. Akers

Male
Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm

I used to love it when the travelling fair came to the fairground at the end of our street. Once a year of rides,sideshows, candyfloss but the one sideshow I elaways wanted to go in but never managed ( too young) was the striptease.
So of course the word is...................

mystery (gotcha)
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male
Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2007-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 6:58 am

The word rune comes from the Norse runa which means mystery. Not just an alphabet, but primarily a mystical symbolism, the runes whisper their secrets...

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Runes
Runes, 11x15 watercolor by artist Theresa M.Quirk: http://www.quirkworks.com/gallery/html/gallery.html

WHIPSER
Back to top Go down
Skyye

Skyye

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm pretty sure Earl was going for "whisper" Razz

Whisper reminds me of watching Bob Ross... when he'd add a very light touch of something, whether a branch or shrub or.. just a change of color.. he'd call it a "whisper".

Watching him is so relaxing... Sleep

VAMPIRE
Back to top Go down
Runesmisstress

Runesmisstress

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 2:35 am

Oh so funny, the word vampire means a lot to me right now as I call my daughter a 'Milk Vampire' as she "Wants to suck my Miiiiiilk....Mwhahahahahah!"

Pink Champagne
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 4:46 am

Nothing comes to my mind with pink champagne. Then it hits me. My Little Pony. A reference that would take too long to explain (but, hey, just skip to the bottom if it gets too specific). I watch a TV (aka telly) show with my daughter called Gilmore Girls. In one episode there is this pink and sweet alcoholic drink that is neon pink and, according to the male lead, it is a dreadful drink, like drinking a My Little Pony:

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 MLP%20PArasol
Popular toy from the 80's, still popular now.

TOME
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female
Number of posts : 281

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Tome.... that reminds me of the big massive leather bound books held at the library that i could barely lift when i was a youngster. I always thought a tome spelt bad news and disaster lol!

pumkin
Back to top Go down
Skyye

Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 2:15 am

Pumpkins remind me of Autumn. When the air is fresh and brisk and the leaves turn all kinds of colors. My favorite season. Pumpkins remind me of Halloween, too, of course Razz I love carving them and being creative.. well, I try to be, that is, lol.

AQUA

Back to top Go down
Prof. Akers

Prof. Akers

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 11:32 am

There are a couple of aqua - aqua dente a great Portugese drink (still drinking mine from a trip 3 years ago and Aqua the Euro pop group who can forget their memorable hit 'Yes sir I can boogie'. Now I come to think about it there was another Aqua who had a hit with Barbie - very risque lyrics. I was coming back from Italy with one of my blackbelts (a very handsome Italian) and on the ferry there were about 3 bus loads of Dutch teenage girls, the song was on the jukebox and they kept dancing past Valerio singing about being his Barbie and he could undress them anywhere, the poor guy was frothing at the mouth.
So the word is jukebox .
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 8:34 pm

I remember the jukebox in my Dad's soda shoppe. Put lots of nickels (and then quarters) into it. I remember playing Proud Mary and Rebel, Rebel in that ol' machine. Ahhh, the ol' soda shoppe. A tradition from the past that is no more. When the soda shoppes disappeared, my dad turned it into a family restaurant which really means a greasy spoon. Or at the best, a coffee shop, and all the cops did hang out there. He never changed the name of the restaurant, even after the change in format. The name of the restaurant was...

CANDYLAND
Back to top Go down
Skyye

Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 11:46 am

Candy Land, the very popular children's game that most everyone has played... and as a child, I wish I lived in, lol I still kinda do Razz

*looks on the map for "Candy Land" and starts planning a road trip*

GINGERBREAD
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 5:59 am

Hey, Skyye, here's your roadmap for planning the road trip:

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Clock-Candy-Land-full-L

I think I see Plumpy hanging out by the Gingerbread tree... which leads me to Gingerbread. A bunch of images come to mind here. There's the gingerbread house, both of fairy tale, and Christmas tradition, and I've been guilty of snacking on shingles, to be sure, and drove my ex-wife crazy.

But back to Hansel and Gretel, which I suspect heavily influenced the Candyland game. Like so many tales of old, this wasn't originally meant for kids and the kids going into the woods is about the family deliberately abandoning the children because of famine. A very good wiki on the history of Hansel and Gretel is here. I always (apparently even at a young age) appreciated the notion of the heroine for it is Gretel that saves the day in the classic tale. Maybe it's due to the fact that the female (in some ways) seemed more admirable to the male growing up. (Girls would play jacks while the boys would wrestle, and the boys struck me as uncouthe, savage). I suspect Gretel was one of my first (of many) admired heroines...

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 412px-Hansel_and_Gretel_-_Project_Gutenberg_etext_19993

HEROINE
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 9:00 am

Heroine: Today the wee one dressed as supergirl for the borders riding of the marches. A tv heroine but one none the less. she won a medal so she was even more pleased and now won't take her costume off lol!

Kermit
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 7:20 am

Kermit is a file transfer protocol developed by Columbia University, more on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_(protocol)...

Okay, okay. Kermit invokes images of a lovable green frog muppet, as so:

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 004_08063~The-Muppets-Kermit-Clein-Posters

My ex was a big fan of The Muppet Show, one of her more endearing qualities. Muppets were everywhere back then and were more than just Sesame Street characters. Skyye can attest to that whom I suspect is a fan of Labyrinth where they made all sorts of appearances. (Ello, Skyye!)

EDUCATIONAL
Back to top Go down
Skyye

Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Ahh, a Labyrinth fan, I be.. and thanks for the Candy Land road map, Earl, lol, here I was trying to draw it out by hand since I couldn't find it on the regular map scratch

Educational reminds me of those awful videos they'd show back in school at the end of the day.. the ones that involved some situation common amongst kids/teenagers; drugs, drinking, strangers...

Anyways, they were supposed to be "educational"... but once the teacher turned out the lights, popped the video in and went back to his/her desk... half the class was dozing off for a 45min nap. Or at least, I was *looks around*

CRAB
Back to top Go down
Runesmisstress

Runesmisstress

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 1:12 am

Mmmm Yummy Crab, well maybe not the ones I am about to describe for you. When I was in the Navy the ship I was on patrolled just of Christmas island for illegal fishermen and refugee boats. On the rare occasion when we came to anchor we were allowed to go a shore or stepping as navy personnel would discribe it. On one of these occasions I was allowed to compete in the Hash House Harry run, I think that is what it was called. It consisted in running throught he jungle stopping half way and skulling a beer, which I refused to do as nothing worse then skulling a beer when you can't catch your breath...lol. Before we got to this point I was running along through the jungle occasionally sucking water from my camel back when I was startled by the biggest crab you would have ever seen. I jumped over it squealing like a little girl and tripped over some volcanic rocks. Well down I went and cut open my palm which was already blistered up from a game of deck soccer where we all had to crab walk around the deck kicking the ball to one another. The blood was bright red by one of the Chief Petty Offices almost collided with me and help me up and we ran on laughing at the noise I had made when I noticed the giagantic crab...lol

Rain
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 4:58 am

Makes me think of the expression raining cats and dogs which some say has a connection to Norse legend. In their explanation of meterological phenomena, cats were considered to greatly influence the weather, especially rain, and dogs to a lesser degree. Heavy rain as supposed to be the result of feline and canine influence. A more amusing explanation comes from medieval Britain (which sees it fair share of rain). When the rain came, cats and dogs (although hard to see the dogs doing this...) would scamper up the side of the home and take refuge in the warmth and dryness of the space there. When the rain came, the roof would leak, and the animals would vacate their comfy hidey-holes, literally raining on the residents, hence raining cats and dogs...

CAT
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 10:12 am

Cat: I came home from my holiday today and the cat had left me a present, the innards of a large rabbit. Little horror has quite clearly been hunting again. He is a very handsome cat who loves me to bits and hates all other human beings but he is a hunter through and through.

crystal
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 am

Crystals are very popular in healing and other metaphysical processes and phenomena I don't really understand that well. Nevertheless, I do own the one crystal, a little amethyst I have named Ishtar, after the Babylonian (and Sumerian) Goddess of Love. A strange choice for a would-be Norsemen, I suppose, but then again I'm...

STRANGE
Back to top Go down
Prof. Akers

Prof. Akers

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 9:38 am

Strange.........
I'm going to quote the old Cream song 'Strange Brew'.
Has a chorus of 'Killing what's inside of you'.
Which is my aim.
So by extention, it goes magic bullet, werewolf, Werewolves of London, underground station (we call it the tube in GB).
So

Tube

Earl if you get a chance to watch the series Rome of HBO, do so. It is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Tube is slang for television in the USA. Often called the Bob Tube, for lack of quality programming. Hmmm, underground station is as Britspeak as the tube. In the US, we call it the subway. There are localized names within the US for specific underground rapid transit systems in different cities. In Massachusetts, we call it The T, T standing for trolley, I suspect, or transit, I'm not really sure. While it sounds like a stupid nickname, it is officially endorsed by the MBTA (Mass Bay Transit Authority):

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Subway.29
Yes, I know this subway train is above ground. It goes underground once it enters Boston city limits.

Anyway, the Prof did mention the tube...er...telly... er... TV and mentioned the series Rome which I am unfamiliar with. Probably because I do not subscribe to HBO because of the expense Sad I watch little television programming, relying more on my own choices on DVD. What was the last DVD I watched? Oh yes, Scourge of Worlds. A must-see for the D&D fan, others probably would want to skip it.

WORLD
Back to top Go down
gaeliccrossedone

gaeliccrossedone

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 3:29 pm

WORLD-brings to mind the most recent picture from one of the space satellites of our big beautiful blue marble, it was truly magnificent and how cool it would be to see our world from space.

Lets see, a new word.......

WATERFALL
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 8:06 pm

I once visited Niagara Falls, it was about 20 years ago. A-whole-nuther lifetime ago.

LIFE
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 6:34 am

life.

That word always reminds me of the book Stranger in a strange land. Near the end, it was decided that human kind could not have a non violent life as it was needed to weed out the weak. I remember being shocked by that thought and how casual life is. Where as to me life was so precious a gift to be treasured.

Mars
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   What memory image does this word conjure in your mind? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Great Mystic Portal :: General :: Fun Fairies and Game Gnomes-
Jump to: