The Great Mystic Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Mystic Portal

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A movie you can watch over and over again

Go down 
+6
Milady Raka
Evie
Skyye
Suzi
flight _of_angelwings
EarlofLeicester
10 posters
AuthorMessage
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male
Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2007-05-27

A movie you can watch over and over again Empty
PostSubject: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 am

One such movie for me is the finale in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Return of the King. In a world where heroism and nobility goes forgotten, the trials of the heroes (and heroines) are great indeed. While I generally don't cry at movies (guys don't admit that kind of stuff, lol), I get misty eyed when, near the movie's finale, an exhausted Sam puts an even more exhausted Frodo on his shoulders and carries him up the mountain so Frodo can complete his quest to destroy the evil ring of power:

A movie you can watch over and over again Carry

(On a lighter note, here's one theory what happened to the One Ring: http://thegreatmysticportal.googleboards.net/General-c5/Fun-Fairies-and-Game-Gnomes-f22/Fun-Pictures-p2355.htm#2355)
Back to top Go down
flight _of_angelwings

flight _of_angelwings

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 pm

I cant quite pick the last movie that made me cry but I do know the last tv/dvd that did and it was yesterday. (I cant pick the movie because I cry too often so its hard to distingyuish a real good heartfelt cry) I bought the fifth season of scrubs and whilst it is a comedy firstly they did have one very heartfelt dramatic episode where one regular patient dies so they harvest the organs and trasnport them into four patients whom all then go on to die of a disease no-one knew she had on death. Whilst it wasnt the most dramatic sad episode due to my comedy turning to quickly into a sad one it effected me more so the drop in vibration did make me come down quick and sad. so I creid because of the loss and the way a doctor took it so hard.

Anything makes me cry. I cant watch the News.......I cant handle News topics and footage...they show too mcuh...way too much. No-one wants to see bodies charred along the pavement, no-one wants to see a mother clinging onto her drowned infant screaming a guttural cry. How can this be appropriate at anytime let alone at 5pm plastered all over the news.

I'm tyring to think of my one favourite movie that makes me cry.......Crystal Castle about a woman in the 70's a young championship ice skater whom loses her sight during an accident ice skating and how she learns to skate again blind and goes on to skate in the championships against all odds. No-one knows she is blind though until they throw out all the roses after her skating and she hits the roses as she cant see them and falls over. It is then that the stadium relaises she is infact blind and her last performance so brilliantly performed was done so without sight. She has her boyfrined race out to help her up and then the whole stadium stand up applauding her.......(I love that part!)
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female
Number of posts : 281

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 12:28 pm

I don't watch alot of tv and even less films. I can't watch a film over and over again, i get pretty bored with it. I think its something to do with my memory.
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Hmmm, I watch more films (over and over and over again) than I do television. Although it is a select group of films, generally those that which inspire. Life basically leaves me uninspired, so heroic inspiration is a necessary booster shot against what is wrong with the world...
Back to top Go down
Skyye

Skyye

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 11:19 pm

Wow.. I don't think I can pick any one movie, as I watch a bunch over and over and never grow tired of them. I'm mainly addicted to classic and black & white films. I'm a huge Katharine Hepburn fan. I also noticed that over the recent years, I've been very prone to cry during dramatic moments of films. I never used to cry during regular, romantic, sad, etc.. movies before, lol, unless it had something to do with an animal dying or being hurt.. ever see Call of the Wild or White Fang? Crying or Very sad I will ALWAYS cry when I see something bad happen to an animal (though now I tend to not even watch a scene like that, I'll leave the room) or when an animal does something so heroic. I even cried while watching Dumbo - when his mother was rocking him with her trunk while singing him a lullaby.. then they took her away from him, I was about 8 years old when I saw it, but I'm sure I'd still cry today.. lol Anyway, now I cry at EVERYTHING... but I love it.

Stage Door, with Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers had a very powerful, dramatic ending that I tend to never forget. The 1938 version of Marie Antoinette was just beautiful, as well. But there are oh so many movies out there that would take me a year to try to list, but all of them I've seen a hundred times and would see a hundred times more.

"Good night... or if you wish, good morning... but I shall never say good bye."

-Skyye
Back to top Go down
Evie

Evie

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 pm

I am not really big on watching TV. Commercials annoy me. I do like
renting movies.
I think that movies we can watch over and over again say a lot about
us...

I just LOVE the Blues Brothers. It is my pick-me-up movie. I love the
music... and the whole senario of being on a "Mission from God" and
behaving like a rebel certainly suits me.

"One flew over the cuckoo's nest..." just cracks me up whenever I see
it. Go figure!

"Close encounters of the third kind..." I really like this show... and have seen it dozens of times.

But at the very top of my favorite list is "Star Wars". It is full of Magic and
spiritual symbolism. When it snows heavily and we are housebound... a
warm blanket, popcorn and this series back to back is a relaxing and
very enjoyable day for me. LOL... I know it is over ten hours of
watching... at least once a year I get the chance to do this .... I laugh, I cry and I am filled with wonderment....

What does this say about me.... ?

chaplin I am a rebel, sometimes I wonder about my sanity as well, and I believe in life on unknown planets...

P E A C E
Evie Evie's Peace
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Admin
Suzi

Female
Number of posts : 281

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 6:26 am

Hey Evie your choice in movies are pretty cool, i suspect i am the insane one really as i don't have the capacity to sit and watch anything all the way through.

I sit down and watch the start, get bored and then think oh the dishes need done or i have laundry to do so i get up and do them, then i remember the film is on so go back and watch a bit more, get bored again and then get up and make a cup of tea. I annoy my husband by doing this, so now i don't bother watching movies very often, unless there is something that has really caught my eye. Even then i am usually very disapointed.

You know what the annoying part is for my hubby? I can tell him exactly what happens in the film without missing any bits out. He thinks i secretly write the films lol!
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 4:44 am

Okay, Suzi, we can't go to any movies together, lol. I guess you have a problem turning off the brain and letting the movie do its thing. That's probably why you can always piece the movie together, probably lots of non-linear thinking going on.

Evie's choices. Hmm, well, I have seen all but Cuckoo's Nest. (Never was a Nicholson fan). For me, Close Encounters is a great one time watch, because the awe and wonder of the surprise of the encounter is kinda lost when you know what will happen. But a must see if you have never seen it. Star Wars? Over the years, I have seen the Star Wars movies 26 times (I think) in the theater. Clearly that would be on my list. Didn't know we were creating a list, lol. The Blues Brothers (the Belushi/Ackroyd original, not the remake) was one I saw on consecutive nites at the theater then saw again the next weekend, so I have to agree with Evie on this one as well. So, since I am compiling a list, I have...

Lord of the Rings trilogy
Star Wars saga
The Blues Brothers

and

King Arthur, Director's Cut. Inspiring heroic story with some good historical elements. It's all about heroism.

The 13th Warrior. Based on the historical 7th (?) century Arab document about an Arab who visits Scandinavia and his action with chieftain Beowulf.

A Knight's Tale. Amusing take on a peasant becoming a jouster in 14th century France and England. Excellent soundtrack.

Labyrinth. Cute movie about a teen girl who dreams about fantasy worlds, finding herself in one.

Pirates of the Caribbean. Energetic and amusing series of movies set at the end of the Golden Age of Piracy.

Serenity. Scifi movie based on the short lived scifi TV series Firefly. A worthy successor to Star Wars.

V for Vendetta. Great tale about the near future and how government's can go too far. And how people have to rebel to be free.

Okay, that's 10, I'll shut up now...
Back to top Go down
Milady Raka

Milady Raka

Female
Number of posts : 1128

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 4:52 am

Movies I have watched more than once are:

Ben Hur

Spartacus

Cocoon

and then of course the Great Chaplin Movies....Laurel and Hardy, the Three Stooges.... These silent movies can tickle me pink....and I laugh everytime!!!

love and rainbows

Raka
Back to top Go down
Runesmisstress

Runesmisstress

Female
Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 4:29 am

My favouritist of all movies that I have only discovered that it was so is the movie with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan in it "City of Angels". It always makes me think that I am being watched over and I cry every time at how the movie ends. I have also while looking for music to play in Myspace discovered that I love the song ''Angel" by Sarah McLachlan, it sends cold shivers down my spine everytime I hear it in a good way. Unfortunately I could only find the video of it so it doesn't play to good on it but hey what can you do!

Runesmisstress

Oooh just saw 300 for the second time, I think that could be a good movie to watch not for the violence in it as there is quite a bit, but the concept that if 300 men could do so much damage what could 20000 of the same men do.
Back to top Go down
http://witchs-haven.forumotion.com/index.htm
smallelk

smallelk

Female
Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 6:06 am

A movie I can watch over and over is Dances with Wolves. It tells the Native Indian's side of the story and shows their way of life, instead of
all the movies that tell the White folks story all the time.

I laughed, I cried, I danced with my Wolf.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/smallelk/
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 5:48 am

Runesmisstress wrote:
Oooh just saw 300 for the second time, I think that could be a good movie to watch not for the violence in it as there is quite a bit, but the concept that if 300 men could do so much damage what could 20000 of the same men do.

Hmm, 300 does not come across as a traditional gal friendly movie because of the violence. Personally, I don't know any guys who don't love the movie. Loosely based on the ancient Battle of Thermopylae where a handful of Spartans resisted the advance of a menacing Persian army, securing the freedom of Europe with their sacrifice. Yes, I like the movie, too!
Back to top Go down
Vishwas
Admin
Vishwas

Male
Number of posts : 95

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 3:50 pm

I get bored with movies soon, if it is very interesting, I am all wide-eyed & taking in everything, if it isn't very interesting, then I get bored easily, then think of other things & forget about the movie & then come back to the movie & predict what is going to happen next (am right atleast 8 out of 10 times) which is enough to irritate everyone, my sis keeps swearing that I have seen all the movies beforehand.

I get bored easily, so even if I love & repeatedly see some movies, I tend to fast forward to the parts that I like or go get something to munch on or something instead of watching the boring parts. But to list a few of my all time favs (Warning, loooooong list):

The Last Castle.
V for Vendetta.
The Girl Next Door. (Mostly for the Moral Fiber Dialouge & Elisha, geek )
The Empire of the Sun.
The Iron Gaint (Animation).
The Terminal.
The Mask.
About a Boy.
The Gladiator.
The Patriot.
Love Actually.
Cocoon 1 & 2.
Bond series (only the ones by Pierce Brosnan).
The Rocky Series.
The Rush Hour Series.
The Bourne Series.
The Matrix Series.
The Lord of the Rings Series. (Though like the book more than the movies)
The Mummy Series. (Part 3 is coming out next year, set in China with Jet Li as the Anti-Hero Mummy, but unfortunatly no Rachel Wesiz).
The Star Wars Series (Kinda too bored to see Part 3, just because George Lucas hasn't directed it, maybe one fine day when I am crazy enough I will pop in the DVD & finally watch it, some Star Wars fan I am, lol).

& Mostly movies by Jackie Chan, they are atleast funny to watch.

And some more, just that I can't seem to remember all the names atm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vcvtech.net
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 6:55 am

Revenge of the Sith was not (at times) the most satisfying movie of the Star Wars saga, but there are some good moments in it that show how the Emperor was able to take control of the Republic (had always wondered about that), what pushed Anakin over the edge and other stuff like that. Will never be my fave SW movie but one I needed to see.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Akers

Prof. Akers

Male
Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Movies   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 am

They are doing the whole series of Star Wars every Sunday on the BBC and I started to watch them, something struck me, which side would you be on.
When I first saw then on course my sympathies were with the rebels then watching them again I thought hand on is this just an allegorical study of the American War of Independance?
If so would I chose the Empire - yes I would.
Second point why do storm troopers wear armour? I doesn't stop anything.
Last point how come professional soldiers are such poor shots and the rebels hit anything they shoot at - is because of the sharpshooters/ backwoodsmen in the AWofI?
Just some thoughts from a empirisist.
Back to top Go down
EarlofLeicester

EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 3:38 pm

Which side? Well, I'm living in the colonies, so the Rebel alliance makes sense to me. Although this is Vinland, in my mind, an Icelandic colony, lol. Why do Stormtroopers wear armor? Well, it is cool (or menacing, take your pick). By wearing the helmet, there is no face to identify with, so there is no individual to focus hate on. Which is why stormtroopers are known by registration numbers, like TK421, and not names. The armor is as effective as medeival armor at stopping gattling gun rounds, which is not much at all. Why are the stormtroopers such lousy shots. So the good guys can win. Whether that reflects ideology, training or something else, I don't know, but George Lucas clearly brakes the rules so the good guys can win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A movie you can watch over and over again   A movie you can watch over and over again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A movie you can watch over and over again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Great Mystic Portal :: General :: Chit Chat...-
Jump to: