The Great Mystic Portal

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
EarlofLeicester

Male
Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2007-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:03 pm

LOL. I already posted on my teenage heartthrob earlier today, Joanna Cameron who played the role of Isis on a Saturday morning kiddie show. In more practical terms, Isis was one of the most popular goddesses in Egypt, being the goddess of motherhood and fertility. She was Osiris’ wife, and was the twin sister of Nephthys. She is depicted with a throne on her head, and had been honored as an incredible sorceress, and her powers were used to accomplish such things as discovering Ra’s secret name.

Image and data from http://library.thinkquest.org/25535/Aset.htm

THRONE

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Throne now that brought up a memory of the "stone of destiny" that used to sit under the throne of scottish kings when they where coronated. Sadly it was stolen by an English King ( King Edward I) some 700 years ago. It was handed back over to Scotland in 1996 and it lives in Edinburgh Castle.

According to rumour and speculation the stone of destiny was never returned because the English stole the wrong stone and its in the safe keeping for Scotlands future by of all people the Knights Templar. (that should interest Earl)

Pyjamas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:11 pm

I haven't worn PJs since I was 12. Usually an old t-shirt (the one I'm wearing says Have you driven a fjord lately?. Viking humor and a pun, where fjord is subbed for Ford, the US auto manufacturer. That's a tag line in their commercials, what some would call adverts, I guess) and sweatpants or something like that.

VIKING

Note to Suzi: More details on the stone, please.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 am

Viking...hmm in my head they are a warrior race who liked to explore. Very proud race who fought for the glory and honour of it. If you die in battle you will be rewarded in valhalla.
My most enduring thought about vikings is the way the dispose of their dead. The funeral pyre is a sight to behold.

a rose.

note to Earl i will post about the stone of destiny in the esoteric part of the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:47 am

Makes me think of Shakespeare's line What's in a name? that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet from Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare was forced on us young minds when I was, well, young and I hated his works. Not so much because they were bad, but they were forced on us. And we were told we had to read Shakespeare every year because it was on the curriculum, not because it was good. Passionless instruction does not motivate students and people wonder why kids don't learn?

PASSION

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:38 am

hmm passion, well first thing that came to my mind was passion fruit. an ugly little fruit that tastes absolutely fantastic in my yoghurt and smells divine!

cookie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 am

Cookies were the favorite food of character Cookie Monster in kiddie TV's Sesame Street.

SCHOOL

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:04 pm

the word School conjures up images of school dinners in my head (sponge and custard!) also long corridors, the smell of pine disinfectant and the sound of the school bell.

Oranges
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyye

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 am

Oranges.. instantly reminds me of my Aunt sending us up crates of them from Florida when I was a little one... and me thinking I was big enough to wield a very sharp knife, went to slice one up and sliced my finger up instead lol Ahh, the childhood memories... Razz

MEMORY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:46 am

Memory, the repository in our brain that allows us to recollect our past. Damage to that part of the brain is catastrophic in terms of our personality.

Love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milady Raka

Female
Number of posts : 1128

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:00 am

Love...

The most precious Divine Gift bestowed upon mankind in order that one may show kindness, friendship, respect, sympathy, patience, empathy, loyalty and affection to another living creature without the latter having done anything to deserve it...

The Greatest Gift of all...yet the most misunderstood, misinterpreted and misued....

BETRAYAL

Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:28 am

Betrayal

the feeling you have inside when you know you have been betrayed is a phenomenal feeling, its like you have been hit by a brick wall. Betrayal is known by everyone in life. Humans do it well.

disparate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:11 am

Disparate... Fundamentally distinct or different in kind; entirely dissimilar.

Yes, I admit, I had to dictionary that one, lol So, that's the image that came to mind when I read the word.. a dictionary Embarassed

I *kinda* had an idea of what it meant, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard that word being used before Razz Yay for learning a new word!

SECRET
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milady Raka

Female
Number of posts : 1128

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:44 am

Secret....

The one thing you are not allowed to talk about, but doesn't make sense unless you share it with someone....

The one thing you CAN take with you to the grave.....

SPIRITS

Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:36 pm

vodka, gin and whiskey are all great spirits. I prefer diet cola in my vodka!

Ireverent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Irreverent... Kathy Griffin's "humor" Neutral

PHILOSOPHICAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:25 am

PHILOSOPHICAL ; what men try to do with their conversations after a number of pints at the local pub. they wax lyrical and philosophise the biggest load of pish, but its fun to listen to.

face lift
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evie

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:38 pm

FACE LIFT: A facelift is performed solely to improve appearance in otherwise healthy people Question I always think
of Joan Rivers and Michael Jackson... affraid

ASTRO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:37 am

Astro

Astroturf, the safe alternative surface for playing 5 a side footie on. Sliding tackles take most of your skin off your knees!

Plonker
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 am

Admittedly I didn't know what plonker meant, so while that may or not make me a plonker, it does make Suzi one fond of localized Britspeak which leaves us plonkers scratching our heads in the Western Hemisphere! Razz

Well, to speak in New England vernacular...

BANGING A U-IE

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:52 pm

Reminds me of horse shoes. I used to call U-Turns "horse shoes" when I was little, lol... Man, was I a flighty kid. bounce

CHORUS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EarlofLeicester

Male

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 am

Hmmm, interesting take on a U-Turn. In New England, it means a 180 degree turn with your car, so as to go in the opposite direction. Maybe it means the same in New Jersey? I dunno, what the rest of the world calls a barbeque or BBQ, we New Englanders call a cookout (I remember confusing Suzi with that term). But I digress. Chorus? Reminds me of the movie (or film, if you're in the Eastern Hemisphere) based on the musical, known as A Chorus Line.

I recall actress Audrey Landers singing Dance 10, Looks 3 and by my reckoning she wasn't the best dancer, so those numbers could very well have been reversed.

DRAGON

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evie

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 am

"Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea and frolicked in the autumn mist, in a land called Honalee...."

A fun ditty from my youth... I can't get this song out of my head now... tongue LOL

P E A C E
Evie Evie's Peace

"Miracle"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suzi
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

A miracle i can accomplish in 10 mins, the impossible takes just a little longer. < a quote from the nursing in an emergency handbook.

Teddy Bear
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyye

Female

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:08 pm

Teddy Bear... Teddy Ruxpin... sucha sweet, talking bear that came out in 1985. I was lucky enough to own one and I considered him my best friend back then. He had a tape deck on him that you put an audio tape in and he'd move his mouth as if he were talking and telling a story.

I think he's still around, too. I recall reading about a new version of him that came out in the late 90s.

SHIELD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?   

Back to top Go down

What memory image does this word conjure in your mind?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next